Friday, February 13, 2009

Random Michael Moore Deceits [#54]

Joanne Duetsch

"RM: Joanne, please tell us about your scene in "Fahrenheit 9/11."

JD: It was March 2004, soon after the bombings in Spain. I was in Laffayette Park sitting on a park bench in front of the White House. I saw a woman walking towards me dressed in black. When the movie came out I found out this was Lila Lipscomb.

I thought she was an actress because when she was being filmed, she looked somber. When the camera came off of her, her demeanor changed as she talked to the man with the camera (who turned out to be Michael Moore-I did not know who he was at the time). He was telling her what to do. I thought they were part of the local news and it was being staged. It dawned on me that the media was filming her to create a scene to embarrass the President.

At the same time, an anti-war demonstration was also being staged with props and lights. In my mind, I remembered Vietnam and what our soldiers had to see. I didn't want them to have to come home and think we all hated them. They're at war, they need to know we support them and what they're doing. I did not want our troops to see this propaganda!

I went to Lila Lipscomb, who I still thought may be an actress. I asked what was going on and that is when I said the scene was staged. She explained that her son was killed in Iraq. I told her how sorry I was for her loss, I gave her a hug, and told her I couldn't even imagine what she was going through. I have a son, so I know how horrible it must be. My heart went out to her and I was teary-eyed. She said the President killed her son and I said "No, it was Al-Qaeda and these terrorists that shot down your son."

I said, "Many people have lost sons and daughters," and then a voice interrupted me and said, "Did you lose someone in Iraq?" I turned and saw I was being filmed. I said, "No, I was referring to 9/11!" Coming from New Jersey I know many people who have lost loved ones on 9/11, including some very close to me. I thought this was the local news, I still did not know this was for Michael Moore's movie.

In the movie, Michael Moore edited out what I said, edited out all the sympathies and emotion I expressed for Lila. When she said, "I lost my son," he edited it to make it appear as if my response was simply "Many people have lost sons and daughters," making me look heartless to the world. He knew I was referring to 9/11, he was right there listening.

RM: He never had you sign a release form?

JD: I never signed a release form.

RM: What has happened in your life as a result of the movie?

JD: I feel I did the right thing by trying to prevent him from demoralizing the troops with a phony demonstration. I acted like I felt an American should act.

I had anxieties and lost a lot of sleep over his misrepresentation of the facts. When the DVD came out before the election I felt worse. I left my yoga class when the instructor started talking about the movie. I felt like I was stabbed all over again and was very upset. My children saw the movie, they understood what happened. My niece contacted me crying from college. She said her friends thought I was a bad person. Michael Moore had just spoken at her college also.

Lila Lipscomb on June 30, 2004 did rounds of personal interviews on "Good Morning America," "Entertainment Tonight," etc., with clips showing me in front of the world. I never gave my permission to them!"
source

No comments: